Thursday, April 10, 2008

Why I Support Hillary Clinton

Senator Clinton has consistently demonstrated her commitment to justice and equality for everyone with her words and actions, and that is why I voted for her in the IL primary and will vote for her when she wins the nomination.

I can give two specific examples of how clear Senator Clinton is when it comes to justice and equality for everyone.

First, during her appearance on the Tyra Banks show, Senator Clinton said, with the conviction that I have not heard from any other politician, that when she is president, she will use all her power to ensure that lgbt couples and their families have the same legal protections as straight.

Second, while I attended the annual gala for Equality Illinois this month, both Senator Obama and Senator Clinton sent written statements to the lgbt community. Equality Illinois has a long and successful history of working to ensure that the rights of lgbt people are recognized and protected under Illinois law.

The statement sent by Obama can be summarized this way: you are working for your rights, good for you. You are demanding that you have equality under the law, and you deserve this. I think that it’s a good thing that you are celebrating your accomplishments.

The statement sent by Clinton can be summarized this way: I am with you, and support your work for equality. When I am president, I will rescind the ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy which is wrong. When I am president, I will ensure that you and your families have the protection that all Americans have a right to expect and have.

Obama is full when it comes to rhetoric, sermons, and empty phrases that most people would not oppose. He is empty when it comes to action and taking a real stand for justice and equality for all.

Clinton may not be able to preach, but I really don’t want a preacher in the White House. I have seen her take on unpopular positions solely because it is the right thing to do. Instead of using lovely and inspiring descriptions of justice, she uses her position, clout, and influence to work to establish justice. That is the president I will claim as a private citizen of the United States of America.

No comments: